You can submit an opinion piece to Route 40 by emailing us. It is free to publish. These are our guidelines for submitted content:
- We will try, where possible, to reach out for counter arguments
- We ask authors to include some information about themselves at the start of their piece, to explain who they are and why they are writing
- We will edit the piece to follow AP style and we will fact check it too
- All opinion pieces will be marked clearly for readers and will include the word “opinion” at the start of the headline
- We will call to verify authorship
- We expect submissions from expert sources (such as academics or public officials) to include contact details
- We do not pay for submissions
- We will not publish defamatory or offensive content
What makes a good commentary? 10 guiding questions
- Is the topic relevant to readers?
- Is the topic timely?
- Will your commentary add a fresh perspective or merely rehash what has already been said?
- Do you have expertise in the topic area? (This adds credibility, but it’s not mandatory; experts don’t have a monopoly on insight.)
- Is the writing clear and efficient and within our word limitation of around 700 words? (The best arguments are short and there’s only so much editing we can reasonably do.)
- Is the commentary engaging?
- Does the submission offer a clear point of view? Is it plausible?
- Is the argument being presented logically sound in its construction and conclusions?
- Does the commentary avoid hyperbole and fallacies? (No exaggerations, no red herrings, no ad hominem attacks.)
- If outside material or data is being presented, is it appropriately sourced? Do any numbers cited add up correctly?